If you’ve read my previous post, you’d know that I LOVE dumplings. I recently learned how to prepare the filling, and today, I’m going to share with you my easy dumpling recipe. Note that it’s not a traditional Chinese dumpling recipe. I’ve modified it to make it easier and simpler. You’ll see that in this recipe, I’ve used an unusual ingredient.
For the filling:
- 3/4 lbs of meat (beef or pork)
- 2 green onions chopped in small pieces
- 2 yellow onions chopped small
- 1 tbs of ginger, chopped small
- 1 1/2 cup cabbage
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of salsa sauce
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the sauce:
- 1 tsp Sushi soya sauce
- 1 1/4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 sesame oil
For the dumpling wrap, you can find it at your local Asian grocery store. I recommend you buy the circular one. It’s easier to manipulate. My favorite Asian grocery store didn’t have anymore circular dumpling wrap, so instead I bought the square one. I ended up finding an interesting way to wrap the filling. Seriously, have you seen square dumplings like these before?
- Mix the meat, vegetables and seasoning all together in one direction (clockwise or anti-clockwise)
- Here’s a short video that shows you how to wrap dumplings. I suggest you
- Fried dumplings: Turn on the stove between 2 and 4 (not too high). Add a little bit of vegetable oil on a nonstick pan. Slowly, add your dumplings. Wait until the dumplings start getting brown then add a 1/4 cup of water. Cover the pan. Repeat 3x until the meat is fully cook. If you want the bottom of the dumplings to be crispy, let the dumplings sit on the oil a little longer after the 3rd time you pour the water.
- Boiled dumplings: Bring the water to boil. Add the dumplings and with a spatula or chopsticks, stir to avoid the dumplings to stick at the bottom of the pot. Turn down the heat a little. Cover and stir again once in a while. Once the dumplings start getting soft, they’re almost ready. When they are, pour cold water. Drain the water, and voilà!
Anna Lou Chen